Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Sob Story

My tune: God will lift up your head by Jars Of Clay



I have a lot of things to say today. This is going to be one of my longest posts.But let me start by assuming that all of your, or most of you, my readers, may have experienced what I am going through right now. Have you ever felt the feeling that the world is against you?.. that you are carrying the weight of the universe on your shoulders?.. that your problems are stacking right on top of another? And have you ever had so many obstacles in a single day?.. had cried so many tears in a single moment?.. had felt so hopeless, so miserable that you want to ask the Heavens, "am I doomed to fail?"


Yes, yes. I sound like an Emo person right now. But I have to tell you, there is an Emo person in each of us. But I am not here to write about that.


I am here to let you know that if you have felt any of the situations and emotions I mentioned above, well honey, you're not alone. I have been in your shoes too. I have been there.

We all have those sob stories about how this life is taking its toll on us..How we tried our best yet we failed..etc. Sob stories, like movies, have different endings. Bitter or better? It is a choice.


Well, dearest reader, let me share you my sob story. [Actually I have a lot of sob stories but this one is the best..or the worst?]

I do not wish to whine or rant in re-telling my sob story. I am just hoping that somehow, you would learn something from these unexpected unfortunate events.


I stepped out of our house thinking that this day would be a pretty ordinary day. I will take the NCAE, do some schoolwork, go home, blog, text for a little while, then hit the sacks. But an ordinary day could turn 360 degrees in just a snap. Like a single matchstick could burn a 400 hectare forest, so is single moment could change the course of your life.. forever.


With a depressed heart, let me tell you the news that I lost my cellphone today. This may seem like an ordinary problem faced by another careless teenager, but believe me in my case, it is more than that.

Losing my cellphone is another addition to my bucket of problems.First, I missed quizzes due to my three day absence from class. I'm sure my class rank will flunk.Then, I spent 12 painstaking hours answering eight killer exams which made my brain deflate.I haven't yet recovered from that traumatic event and now, another problemo!

I am not feeling bad plainly because I lost a pricey 2 month old cellphone. What I shed tears for is the thought that I lost something with a sentimental value. The thing is, I am a person who becomes easily emotionally attached to a possession. My cellphone was like a sister to me. I stored valuable photos, recordings of Bible verses, favorite songs and treasured funny videos on it. We always had a Sunday night bonding routine. Whenever I am in my loner mode, it served as my companion. I loved my cellphone like Jack loves his blanket. And now, I miss it like Jack misses his blanket.


Now, I could choose how to react to this misfortune. Will I cry, regret and be depressed? or accept it and move on? With all these burdens, let me say that I am sooo tired of being tired and depressed. I am generally a pessimistic person and I am fed up of being like this. I am over letting my emotions take over me.


That's the problem people.Behind every sob story is a cloud of emotions taking over the scene. This dark cloud makes the sob story end up in a total chaos. Thus, sob stories always end up bitter. Never better.


Okay, back to what I've said. I am tired of being an Emo person towards my problems. Being a pessimist is the worst character a person can have. It gives you nothing but anxiety and tears. My latest emotional breakdown was because of my pessimism. But really, folks, if we all look in the brighter side of every dark event, we will all make it through. Let us all be Mr. and Ms. Brightside.

But enough of all these sayings and sweeping statements. I want to talk based on my experience.


Earlier, I was the same pessimist letting emotions take control of me. But a moment sparked a change for the better. I heard in the news on TV that over a 100 people are homeless right now because an enormous fire burned down their homes in Manila. Hearing that news is a life-changing moment. I realized that despite my bucket of problems, I should consider myself lucky. I mean, compared to other people's problems, mine are minor and can be dealt with.

Despite my misfortune, I am still blessed.


See? Right then and there, I decided to give up my negativity and be Ms. Brightside. Life will be simpler this way. I chose to stop carrying the weight of the universe on my shoulders and to let go.


Yes yes. Let go and let Jesus take over.


"Give to the wind your fear
Hope and be undismayed
God hears your sighs and counts your tears
God will lift up, God will lift up, lift up your head "
-God Will Lift Up Your Head by Jars of Clay



You can never be liberated from your problems if you don't entrust them to Father God.
So my dear earthlings, make the decision to turn against pessimism and let Lord God provide.
Trust Him. He has plans to prosper you, not to harm you.

OMG. My sob story is a happy ending after all.



No comments: