Monday, August 06, 2007

Flashback


My tune: On Fire by Switchfoot
My Adobe PS is unavailable today so no pictures for this post.

August five is a marked day on my calendar. It is such an eventful day that it is already stamped on my memory.On that day, I almost died..but a miracle saved me.

Lets have a flashback shall we?

It was August 5, 2003. I was in 6th grade back then. I have been feeling a pain in the lower right are of my abdomen, just above my pelvic bone for 2 weeks. It was really a pain actually since it wasn't agonizing. Let's say, it was a disturbing, tingling sensation. It was a confusing kind of feeling.Every time I felt it, I thought I was just the usual feeling whenever I'm hungry or in the mood to fart [laugh with me people.haha.] I didnt know that it was a serious symptom of a serious illness.

Then as time went by, I lost my appetite.I was having fever. When I was young [and dumb] I had a theory that barfing would make a sick person feel better. I thought my theory was completely and accurately true since it worked one time.. So I forced myself to throw up every single food I ate. But it didn't make me feel better at all. It only made me look like a wasted, bulimic kid.

My parents noticed my unwell state of being and my weight loss. They decided to confine me to an infirmary.At first, I protested their decision. I hated the smell and the aura of a hospital. But they made me go to the doctor anyway.

I first stayed in the emergency room. The ER is a very depressing place to be. I was surrounded with no one else but sick and dying people. An old lady even died in the ER while I was there. It was sooo horrible!

My situation got worse that I could barely walk. They made me sit on a wheel chair and transported me to a yet another sad,sad room. Right there, I was treated like a pregnant woman.The doctor performed an ultrasonography [with the use of an ultrasound thingy] on me. After three meticulous hours, the doctor said that I had a ruptured appendicitis. It was the worst kind of appendicitis.My appendix has swollen and burst and the toxin it caused has spread all over its surrounding areas. I was in a very fatal condition. I had to be operated on ASAP.

So there,. they brought me to the operating room. Man, if the ER and the ultrasound room were like wretched places, the Operating room was the worst of them all. It was a cold, spacious room with huge bulb lights and a bed which resembled the ones used in a death sentence. Wearing nothing but a hospital gown, I lay on that miserable bed as the doctor injected the Anesthesia on my spinal column. The Anesthesia somehow was a failure since I was still awake and conscious at the beginning of the operation. I even felt the surgeon make an incision on my body! The doctor noticed my consciousness and immediately placed a mask on me. The mask was almost suffocating me. I guess It was made to be like that. I couldn't breathe in it. After two inhales and exhales, I became unconscious and almost lifeless.

When I opened my eyes, I found myself in the recovery room [I haven't been in so many rooms in only one day before]. Then I realized that I was very much blessed to be even alive and breathing at that moment.

**End of flashback**

My August 5-experience proved to me a lot of things. First, it proved to me the enduring, unconditional and unfailing love of our Lord Father God to his children. In the middle of that crisis, I didn't even remember to say a prayer to Him [I wasn't a true Christian at that time], yet he still blessed me with another chance at life. See? Miracles happen even to the poor in spirit.

Second, it proved to me that there will always be a first time. That day, I experienced so many firsts. First time to go under the knife.. first time to use a catheter.. first time not to take a bath in a month..etc etc etc.

It was pleasurable to recall that memory.The scar which that unfortunate event left me will always be a reminder of that fateful day.

So my fellow earthlings, let me end this post with the moral lesson of my story: People can survive without an appendix.

get that? goooooooood. ^.^

No comments: