Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Material Girl in Christmas






I was in Ilo-Ilo City for three days last week for a journalism competiton. I had lots of much-anticipated free time so I thought, "Why not do my christmas shopping here?". I was expecting that stuff in Ilo-Ilo are cheaper in price compared to those in my hometown Bacolod. But I was frustratedly wrong. Ilo-Ilo City is more modernized and "economically" better than Bacolod. So prices there are higher, more expensive. [Okay, enough of that. I'm not here to talk about prices and compare cities. Sometimes, or actually most of the time, I get carried away from the topic. :) ]

With a reasonable budget in hand and a good pair of newly-bought sneakers, I set out to hunt for my victims. My companions apparently made a way to ditch me so I had the pleasure of shopping all by myself. It felt.. cool [wow! what an intellegent choice of an adjective]. I was alone in this big unfamiliar shopping mall in a big unacquainted city. I felt independent and a big girl. Hey, i don't need mummy anymore to get my way around.


[I am straining from the topic again] So anyway, I had a hard time shopping. I saw good buys and great deals and I had the money to buy them, but the problem was, my selfishness kept on going in the way, tempting me to shop and buy all for myself. I already had a spend-plan for my budget but the material girl inside of me kept on telling me to splurge on a single thing for no one else but myself.. and myself alone. And silly me, I gave in. I let my insane side win over my sane being.



At the end of the day, I had an irrationally expensive clutch bag, and a handful of remorse.

Similar to that incident is what is happening during the Christmas season. Admit or not, we all become materialistic during the Holidays. All year long, each of us has longed, desired, craved, yearned, whatever you call it, for material things we sadly could not have with a snap of a finger. All year long, we have eyed those pricey and dreamy things, hoping to someday call them "mine". And now that the "gift-giving" season has come, we all have high hopes that we will finally lay our hands on the things on our wish lists.

During noche buena, we become monsters, ripping apart those beautifully wrapped gifts, revealing the objects of our desires and affection. Then we are glad for our material cravings have been satisfied.

Does this scene seem plausible? .. and familiar? Come clean now, fellow. We have all become victims of our material sides.

I'm not anti-gifts, people. In fact, I do love gifts. My heart palpitates whenever I receive one. But what I'm trying to tell you guys is that we become too preoccupied and engrossed to physical things when Christmas season comes. The real reason for this celebration is overshadowed by our materialism. Christmas has become a commercialized season. Sad reality, right?

During Noche Buena, why don't we pause for a while in the middle of the madness and festivity and think back to the real intention behind the season. Let us not forget that above all the Christmas ornaments, all the presents, all the holiday hams.. is the birthday of our Redeemer. Let's greet Him with a thankful heart for all the blessings we unawarely and undeservingly receive from Him is far more worth than a million iPhones or Ferraris in this planet.

Now, that is what CHRISTmas is all about.

Blessed Christmas. [hug]

No comments: