Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Sacrifice and Lent






My tune: Inside out by Delirious



A question ran through my mind last night. I was about to do my quite time when this certain question just came like a poof.



"Whats the greatest sacrifice you have done in your life?"



I pondered on it greatly, and I came to realize that I have nothing to answer.What a shame. In the fifteen years that I have been existing in this world, I havent done a single sacrifice. I felt bad, of course. It goes to show that I have been taking things for granted. And yes, it also proves my selfishness. Its a downer to know that your like that. I mean, when people tell me that Im selfish, the usual thing that i do is to deny it. But now that I have learned it myself, denial is no longer an option.



So as I was doing my quite time, I kept on remembering that question. That question being stuck on my mind must mean something. Then suddenly, God just gave me a flashback of what i did that day. I was infront of the computer, wasting time and electricity all day. Then I had a glimpse of my cellphone and I remembered that besides hogging the pc, I also texted from sun rise to sun set. Yes yes, I have become a lady of leisure this summer. Naahh.. more of like a Juan Tamad. I have become the girl version of Juan Tamad, which I will refer to as Juana tamad.

So I made up my mind. The question, the flashback..all of these lead to one bottom line.
I have to make a sacrifice for Holy Week.



I bet you've guessed what my sacrifice is. Oh yeah.. Im sacrificing my internet fondness and my cellphone for Lent. Starting tomorrow, its goodbye to my online life..well, at least for a while.
But I have to tell you, it might sound as easy as 1 2 3 but the truth is, its as hard as learning Arabic.I know myself too much and I know that Im not true to my words. When I say Im not going to do this or that, Im only fooling myself. I have the worst record when it comes to self-discipline.



But change is knocking on my doorstep right now. I can do it. With God's grace, I know I will. Jesus was nailed on the cross for my sins.So now, I will sacrifice things close to my heart too, only for Him.



I pray for success. So that the next time Im asked the same question I thought of before, I will be able to answer it. Hey, sacrificing my cellphone and internent fondness may sound like such a small thing to do. But you know what, it all depends on the person.
How 'bout you..What's your lenten sacrifice?

No comments: