Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Dark Ages

This is my first taste of the internet after a gazillion years! My life here in UP just seems to explode [is that the right term?] as days go by. Just a quick recap:


  • The ever-friendly Typhoon Frank hit Iloilo as we all know. It's such a blessing that UP is located in Miagao. Minimal damage and flood happened. BUT and that is a big big BUT.. Miagao experienced a total black-out for 1 whole week. Imagine that?? Freakin' 7 days without electricity? The water supply was also trying to play games with us. There were days when we woke up and found nothing flowing out of the showers. We had to make igib in the nearby houses inside the UP campus in order to take a bath.

  • We had no classes for 1 straight week primarily because there obviously wasn't electricty in our college buildings and also because our professors were simply tinatamad to have classes because they were caught up with the post-typhoon Frank damages. Oh well, it was all good news to me! LOL.

[Okay..im starting to become a boring blogger. Maybe I need to rejuvenate my brain cells after 1 week of dormancy.Haha!]


Anyhoo, living in the dark ages was a whole new experience. It was the longest time ever in my whole life wherein I lived without electricity. Back in Bacolod, I would go nuts whenevr black outs happen. But here, I learned to accept the situation and be joyful about it. I mean, there I was, sleeping in a comfy bed, under a descent roof while the victims of FRANKenstein had no potable water and food. I was blessed.Really really blessed.


The dark ages taught me learnings I wouldn't learn if there was electricity around. I know, it may sound funny and exag, but it's true. When it's dark and boring and you're running out of things to do, you realize a lot of things you wouldn't normally realize when you have the comforts of electricity.


I didn't merely learn how to cherish every drop of water, value electricity [these things are obviously to be learned even if its not the dark ages], how to play cards and take a bath in the poso but more specifically, I learned to appreciate life's little things.

Back in the dorm, the dormers wouldn't usually go out and socialize when electricity was around. We usually stayed in our rooms. But during the dark ages, we slowly came out of our shells and met new people, people whom we're gonna live with for the next 10 months of our lives.

I learned to just have fun whatever circumstance life gives me. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! I realized that I don't have to have techie stuff, computer games, etc. to truly be blissful. Just the company of NFF's [new found friends] and the attitude to say no to boredom are enough.

But although I was like a frog dancing in the rain during the dark ages, negativity will always find its way. I dunno.. during the dark ages, I felt a certain feeling of homesickness. Like I was happy and sad all at the same time. It's weird but I know its perfectly normal [i hope so]. I mean, even though It's fun here in UP, I can't help but miss the good ol' times.

But yeah, electricity is back and there's school tomorrow. The fun times are over. It's time to snap back to reality.

I'm going overboard now, I know. I'm having word vomit! Haha!That's it, pansit! ^_^

No comments: